Tuesday 13 September 2011

Legum Magister

"The Master of Laws is an advanced academic degree, pursued by those holding a professional law degree, and is commonly abbreviated LL.M. (also LLM or L.L.M.) from its Latin name, Legum Magister." 
- Wikipedia 

As I am typing this, I am looking at the offer letter from my alma mater (University of London) to pursue my LL.M. by distance learning.  Back in the days when I was slogging though my LL.B. (Legum Baccalaureus - Bachelor of Laws), I dreamed of furthering my education even beyond Master level, I still do.

Yet, looking at the letter (which I have received since 19th July), I have my doubts.  To pursue 4 modules (each comprising of 4 units each), all of which are pure examinations based (16 unseen examinations in total!), while juggling a full time job as well as (near) full time ministry of running camps, trainings and mentoring more than a handful of youths - it all seems a little bit too much.  I can't help but wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew.

If I really want to stay in the field of what I do now (lecturing law), then the pursue of my Masters would be the next logical move; but as passionate as I am about my job, it is, at the end of the day, a mean to an end; I am no more than a tent-maker.

Can I cope juggling everything I am already juggling now and still throw in that huge ball calls Legum Magister?  Maybe it is time to take a further step of faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment